Car-Free Day - This event has already occurred
Sunday, August 18, 2019 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
City Hosted and City Supported Events
Port Moody’s Car-Free Day is taking over St. Johns Street. We’re closing five blocks and having a huge street celebration, filled with local businesses, musicians, green transportation displays, delicious food, and a family-friendly Brewers Row beer garden. Check out over 130 booths, swing by the bicycle skills zone, take a ride on the mini train, and test your skills on the ninja obstacle course.
Car-Free Day also features tons of live music, including:
- Trilojay, a high-energy event band who will have you dancing, with sounds ranging from roots rock to vanguard funk;
- Kim Gray, a local four-person garage-pop band;
- Clavinova Nights, a quartet of jazz crooners who blend blues with upbeat dance music; and
- Music with Marnie, whose high-energy musical performance gets children moving and grooving.
Road closure information
- St. Johns Street, between Douglas and Moody streets, will be closed to all vehicle traffic from 6am to 10pm on August 18, 2019. Commuters are strongly advised to take alternative routes.
- Members of the public are encouraged to leave their car at home, and walk, bike, or take public transit to the celebration.
- The City of Port Moody is operating a free event shuttle during Car-Free Day. Starting at 11:45am, the shuttle will loop from Knowle Street (in front of the Port Moody Recreation Complex, 300 Ioco Road) to Rocky Point Park (2800 Murray Street) approximately every 30 minutes. From Rocky Point Park, riders can then walk over the Moody Street Overpass to St. Johns Street. The last loop of the day will leave Knowle Street at approximately 6:45pm and leave Rocky Point Park at approximately 7pm.
- View our traffic management summary map.
Car-free days take place across the country and aim to inspire people to get out of their cars, interact with each other, and explore alternative modes of transportation.
Feature Image:Car-Free Day